A wavetable function generator that can create great LFOs, Envelopes, or cycle at audio rate as a wavetable oscilltaor.
Tides is all about waves that go up and down, from minute-long cycles to audio rates. This module is Mutable Instruments’ unique take on the looping AD envelope generator – pushing this well-known trope to unknown territories.
The core of the module is a digital asymmetric triangle function generator, which can be used in AD and AR modes (for envelope generation), or looping (as a VC-LFO or VC-DO).
The triangle generator is followed by a wavetable waveshaper providing linear, exponential, logarithmic, sinusoidal, or arc-sinusoidal shapes for the A and D segments. Then, a second processor applies either a 2-pole low-pass filter to the waveform, smoothing its sharp edges; or a rubbery wavefolder, adding kinks and bounces to the waveform.
Because Tides has been designed from the ground up to work at audio rates with minimal aliasing, and because all its parameters are under voltage control, it can be used as a unique self-contained synth voice.
Digital function generator
- 3 operating mode: single shot (attack/decay), sustained.
- (attack/sustain/release), looping (VC-LFO/VCDO).
- 3 frequency ranges: low (20 minutes to 5 Hz), medium (0.05 Hz to 300 Hz), high (8 Hz to 10kHz).
- Freeze gate input to stop the oscillator and hold its output.
A large palette of waveforms.
- Shape control with CV input – covering various combinations of linear, exponential, or sinusoidal segments.
- Slope/asymmetry (A/D time ratio) control with CV input.
- Smoothness control with CV input. From 0V to -5V, smoothes the waveform using a 2-pole digital filter, from 0V to +5V, adds bumps and kinks with a digital wavefolder.
- Output level CV input (digital VCA).
- Dual outputs: standard unipolar waveform, and “double-shot” waveform with a positive spike during the ascent and a negative spike during the descent. At audio rate, both of them have a different sound.
- Accurate V/Oct tracking with straightforward calibration procedure.
- Clock input to lock onto a multiple or fraction of a trigger sequence, or to generate harmonies directly from an audio signal (PLL mode).
Tides User Manual
Please note that this is not the current version of Tides, this is the first version, and is discounted as such.